Friday 15 June 2007

Sapporo - Shiroi Koibito Park

Sapporo ("important river flowing through a plain" in Ainu language) is the capital of Hokkaido and Japan's fifth largest city. It is famous for ramen (heh heh, I did not eat ramen here) and the annual snow festival (which alas I missed)


One of my favourite places of interest in Sappporo is the Shiroi Koibito Park.

The park consists of various Disneyland style buildings, beautiful rose garden and the famous chocolate factory. I fell in love with this place for it does remind me of disney land and every thing magical. I would have dearly loved to linger here for the whole day but alas, had only 1 hour there.

Shiroi Koibito Park is owned by Ishiya, a local chocolate company. The company's flagship product are the Shiroi Koibito cookies (or what most people know as 白色恋人), two thin butter cookies with white chocolate in between, a mandatory item on the souvenir shopping list of most visitors to Hokkaido. I bought 2 packets only and munched one packet during the trip. The biscuit is soo lovely and so so expensive...sob.


There are windows for visitors to observe the production process of the chocolate cookies and lots of chocolate related exhibits.

When I went in for the chocolate factory tour (by the way, we were left behind by the tour guide..hmpt) and sneaked in with the korean tour group. Visitors can observe the production process of the chocolate cookies and most oomphed and ahhed while I regretted I could not snap pictures for my friend wanted to find our missing tour mates.


I also tried the cream puff which the tour guide Tomi san said would make one weep out of sheer happiness. It is DELICIOUS! Pity I could not buy it back for you have to eat it immediately.


I really love the rose garden and took lots of pictures here. Yup, me cannot resist the lovely roses and even snapped pictures at a shop selling rose products.


No comments: